GOOGLE DOODLES

 Hello ladies and gents this is the Viking telling you that today we are talking about

VETERANS DAY

Today’s Doodle, created by Texas-based, Air Force veteran and guest artist Jenn Hassin, celebrates Veterans Day in the United States. One of the country’s 10 federal holidays, this day specifically honors members of the nation’s armed forces.

Below, Jenn shares her thoughts behind the making of this Doodle:

Q: Why was this topic meaningful to you personally? 

A: As a veteran and an artist, I believe that making work tied to military issues will be a thread throughout my career. It is a community that I am respectfully tethered to, and I'll always be interested in issues tied to service.

Q: What were your first thoughts when you were approached about the project?

A: Pinch me! I was honored to receive the invite and also intimidated because Veterans Day celebrates a massive amount of truly incredible people. I wanted to give 110% to my fellow veterans. 

Q: Did you draw inspiration from anything in particular for this Doodle?

A: For the composition, I drew from patriotism and a heavy lean to service. The star and stripes respectfully give gratitude to the many patriots that help celebrate our nation's veterans. All other colors are military uniform hues that give tribute to those who have worn and are wearing the uniform.

 I relied heavily on the material. Ten different military uniforms donated from veterans ranging from the Vietnam era to today were used to make the Doodle: 3 Navy, 2 Army, 2 Air Force, 2 Marine Corps, 1 Coast Guard. All were entrusted to me with the promise that I would do my best to honor our nation's military and veterans with their transformed uniforms. The final Doodle holds hundreds of rolled up pieces of paper that are made from these once worn, but now deconstructed, military uniforms. 

The rolls are all slightly different, which represents the uniqueness of the individual. Our nation’s military is made up of people from all walks of life, which to me, is one of the truly special aspects of serving. Though we are all different, what unites us is our willingness to devote our lives to our country. This bond, of brothers and sisters in uniform, lasts forever

Q: What do you hope people take away from your Doodle?

A: My artistic process revolves around transformations. For this project, I first transformed military uniforms into soft cotton rag paper, then rolled the paper into spirals as a symbol for life. One aspect of military service that I’ve found is a common thread amongst my peers is that our time in uniform transforms us in one way or another, and I hope that comes across.

I also hope people take away that not every veteran has the same story. Some are heart wrenching and others lighthearted. In my experience, I chose to enlist and am honored that I got to spend time in a uniform that I so willingly donned. I was a dental technician, stationed in England at RAF Lakenheath and loved serving our country.

 I am cognizant, however, that not every veteran joined for the reasons I did or shared my experiences. For example, there are many veterans in this country from a time when choice wasn’t an option. Being drafted comes with its own weight that I will never fully understand. 

But I can make a conscious effort to listen to their stories and experiences. With that being said, I hope that the message tied to this work implores people to not just thank a veteran for their service today, but to ask them a question such as “where did you serve?” and “what made you join?” Dig deeper than the surface and you might walk away feeling less intimidated by what it means to serve and realize that the veteran you just spoke to has things in common with you, too.

And as always have a chilled day from the Viking

Comments