LIVING WITH DPD

 Hello ladies and gent this is the Viking telling you that today we are talking about

The Best Treatment for Dependent Personality Disorder

Dissociative Identity Disorder (Multiple Personality Disorder) - Exploring  your mind

I learned in residential care that there is no cure for a personality disorder and no medication for it. I also learned that the best way to manage DPD and change my negative thought and behavior patterns was to work through all my issues with a good therapist. Immediately I was eager to please and wanted to let my therapist take care of me, but what she helped me realize was that I needed to do the work myself. She was simply my guide.

We worked mostly with cognitive behavioral therapy. My therapist helped me explore my past and how that contributed to DPD, but also how my choices as an adult made my symptoms worse. With this therapy I had concrete things I could do, steps to take to make real changes to the way I think about myself and relationships to others. From these changes I could then take action to do things differently and make better choices.

In treatment, I practiced being more assertive, making decisions on my own, including choices about my own care, and reacting in more productive ways to other people and developing positive new friendships.

I also benefited from taking charge of other aspects of my well-being. I learned how to cook and make healthy food choices. I learned how to meditate and do yoga to cope with anxiety. I even went on an adventure therapy session, something I would never have done before treatment. All of this helped build my self-confidence and prepared me to be more independent going back home.

DPD has been a difficult condition to live with and to manage. But with treatment I feel hopeful about my future. I moved out of my parents’ house two months ago and have been single and comfortable living alone and not being in a relationship. Sometimes I still slip up, and I try to get my parents to make decisions for me, but then I remember what I learned in treatment and what I’m capable of, that I can trust myself to be independent.

i hope you liked this post and found it helpful and as always have a chilled day from the Viking

Comments