WEIRD OR WHAT

 Hello ladies and gents this is the Viking telling you that today we are talking about 

Odd Things About Catalans

Castellers in Gracia

Posted on April 18, 2015by Tendelle

Every culture has its peculiarities, but let’s face it – there’s a point where the “culture” and “traditions” are just plain weird! Don’t get me wrong, I love living in Barcelona and all my Catalan friends, but seriously, they do some weird crap here! Speaking of sh*t, the first on my list is…


1. Obsession with Poop. Let’s start with the Caga Tio.

A trunk with a harmless, jolly face. I first saw a pile of these in a street fair of the Catalonian town of Vic, deep deep in Catalunya. What does it have to do with poop? Well, my Catalan friend enthusiastically explained to me that the caga tio is the Catalan version of the Christmas tree or Christmas stocking. The days leading up the Christmas, the children have to give the Caga Tio milk and oranges to eat every day. Then, on the day of Christmas, the parents put a blanket over it stuffing the presents under the Tio. The kid comes along with a stick, and literally beats the “crap out of” the Tio. “WTF?!” was my reaction. “Yeah, I guess it is a strange tradition…” said my Catalan friend sheepishly.

2. To continue with the poop obsession: The Caganer

Almost as curious as the caga tio, the caganer is, said plainly, a pooping figurine. This pooping figurine is typically put somewhere within the nativity scene of Christmas. No Catalan could answer my question of how this tradition began, but apparently it is a very important one, as the nativity scene in the Plaza de Sant Jaume, where the Barcelona and Catalan government is located, has a high profile nativity scene over Christmas, with a caganer tucked away in the bushes.

A fun touch is that you can find caganers around the city of all sorts of different characters! My favorites are those of Obama and Homer Simpson.

3. Have I gotten the point across that Catalans love Poop as much as the Japanese love their poop emoji?

If you haven’t realized already, “caca” means poop, and the Catalans, much like my elementary school self, are obsessed with poop. At the Feria de los Reyes, a large Christmas fair along Gran Via (one of the important streets in Barcelona) every single candy stall sold poop in a cup. Great gift idea for Christmas!!

4. Castellers

The Catalan tradition of building human tours is quite a sight to behold. To my incredulousness, the cherry on the cake and the finishing act of the casteller construction is of a 4-5 year kid climbing up 6 levels of humans, at least 3 stories high. Why are kids allowed to be in this kind of danger?? Why do their parents allow them to climb?!

A child fell off a casteller a couple years ago, and died. This is why children are required to wear helmets now. But still, the fact that they they allow minors to participate in this tradition, with the most dangerous role, baffles my mind…

Despite my dismay, I did notice a couple interesting things with this tradition. They say that a foreigner becomes fully assimilated and welcomed to Catalan culture when they join a casteller team. I know an expat that joined a Casteller team, and really enjoys the sense of community. It was interesting to observe for me Asian and black children participating in the casteller. For the “new immigrant” communities, it must be a fantastic way to feel connected to the culture.

5. Indians

Did you know that there are Indians in Barcelona and Catalunya. How shocked was I to find out that there were “Native Americans” here! But wait, having “native” people here doesn’t make sense, Europeans are “native”… Turns out, Catalans call those who went to the New World centless, and came back to Catalunya a rich man, to be “Indians”.

and as always have a chilled day from the Viking

Comments